Dec 17, 2010

The Hunger Games

Author: Suzanne Collins
Published: 2008, Scholastic
374 pages

I realized that my last three posts have been about books that I absolutely hated, so I've decided to treat you all to a post about a book I would actually recommend.  That book is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I heard great things about this book months ago, but it was another one of those really fun things that had to wait "until grad school is over" because it's part of a trilogy and I knew I would want to read all three in a row.  As it happened, grad school isn't technically "over" yet, but I read it anyway.  Story of my life.  During my undergrad, I read the entire Twilight series during the last couple weeks of the semester (yes, including finals week).  But enough about me.....

This book takes place in a place called Panem, a dystopia formerly known as North America.  Panem was once made up of 13 districts, but the 13th district revolted and was obliterated by the Capitol.  As punishment for the revolt, the remaining 12 districts are required to send one boy and one girl to participate in a gladiator-like battle to the death called The Hunger Games every year.  The last kid standing is the winner, and the rest are... dead.

When Katniss's little sister Prim is randomly selected to be District 12's contribution to the Games, Katniss volunteers to take her place.  Katniss is a hunter, good with a bow and arrow, but is still the underdog when she gets into the arena and is faced with kids who have been training their whole lives for the Games.  While the kids die one by one inside the arena, the public outside watches the Games unfold on TV.  The public's enthusiasm for the Games, complete with betting and sponsoring, is absolutely revolting, and Collins has done such a good job making it realistic that I found myself cringing the whole time I was reading.

I'm not giving away anything else about the book because I highly highly recommend going out and reading it yourself.  I know I am going to pick up my copies of the next two books (Catching Fire and Mockingjay) today!  Just as soon as I finish these last two grad school assignments.....

No comments:

Post a Comment