Nov 18, 2010

Be the Pack Leader

Authors: Cesar Millan and Melissa Jo Peltier
Published: 2007, Crown Archetype
336 pages

Some people watch The Dog Whisperer “every now and then” or “if there’s nothing else on.”  I, on the other hand, am one of those rare people who actually goes out of my way to watch The Dog Whisperer.  I actually DVR it.  I should stop there, before I really embarrass myself.  On to the book!

If you are looking for a step-by-step guide of how to get your dog how to “sit” or “stay” or “speak,” this is not the book for you.  Cesar never claims to be a dog trainer.  He is an expert on dog psychology, and that is what this book is about.  He keeps to his usual guidelines of “Exercise, Discipline, and Affection,” and elaborates further on his principle of calm assertive energy.  He provides a list of tools (different kinds of collars, leashes, etc.) and suggestions for how to use them properly.  He also gives advice on how to deal with special situations (going to the vet, bringing a dog home for the first time, etc.).  He doesn’t, however, address the really important issues like stealing my socks, or waking up at 6:30am even on the weekends.

Cesar was recently in the news for criticizing Obama’s handling of his dog Bo, and I’m happy to report that the cutest dog in the world a.k.a. Cooper a.k.a. MY dog has slightly calmed his wild beastly leash-pulling ways and has become a sweeter little beast who happily trots behind me every morning.  Except when there are squirrels.  And except when, well… maybe he’s not that “calmed” yet.
Cooper, cutest dog in the world
There’s nothing life-changing, or even dog-changing, about reading this book, but it was an interesting read for someone as obsessed with dogs as I am.  I recently bought his new book, Cesar’s Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog, and I’m looking forward to reading that as it appears to contain collaborations with other trainers.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment